Somebody once told me
To Write Well,
Write What You Know.
This is what I know......

Friday 9 December 2011

My Experiments With Twitter Part 2

1st part of this post was about the advantages and disadvantages of Twitter.
Those who would like to go through it, please follow this link:


It was some 3 years back I started using Twitter. But it seemed an unknown world to me. Not a single friend of mine was using Twitter at that time. Now I would like to share with you some of the reasons why I started tweeting even though none of my friends were in Twitter.
  1. The ban on Facebook and Orkut in the computer labs of our college.
  2. Inbuilt mobile app for using Twitter.
  3. Long and boring study leaves, when I had nothing else to do except exploring new websites, cool apps & software, top rated videos on Youtube, and downloading films.
  4. Some of the celebrated, talked over or controversial tweets and media obsession on it.
  5. In a hope that, one day, I too might become a celebrated tweeter. ;)
  6. Ease for my fans to follow me! :P
Somebody once told me that those things you don’t understand will always seem boring (I guess that ‘somebody’ is me…). Also, the first person I followed on Twitter was a celebrity who had just a namesake account on Twitter. Within weeks, I abandoned Twitter.


Even though I never entered it, that account was linked to my blog and so blog updates were published automatically.
It was during my previous study leave that I re-entered Twitter. Not remembering the old password, I had to reset the password and finally opened.

Practice makes one perfect. So I practiced daily and hence became active in Twitter.Now, how can you check whether you are addicted to twitter universe?
  1. You open the web browser and automatically hit ‘T’ on the keyboard, followed by the ‘Enter’ key; obviously, www.twitter.com will be the 1st option in the auto-suggestions of the search engine.
  2. When you create a new mail id, you check the availability of your twitter handle as your new username.
  3. You have a tendency to use ‘#’ tags for important or special words/phrases/names even in other social networking sites. E.g. #SaveMullaPeriyar or #Kolaveri.
  4. When mention places, you either use 'at' or make sure there's a gap between '@' and place name. E.g.: before you used to type ‘@College’, but now you type ‘at College’ or ‘@ College’. In Twitter, they may refer to other users even though you were talking about a place.
  5. You desperately want to get a Bharti Airtel/Reliance/Tata Docomo/Videocon SIM as these alone provide text message notification services in Twitter India.
  6. Just after getting up or just before going to bed you check notifications.
  7. When you have many tabs opened in the browser window, one of them will definitely be Twitter.
  8. Something important/unusual/good happens and you say, “let me tweet about it."
  9. (Now this one is my favourite and refers to students like me) You are answering a 15-marks question, which you are supposed to write in more than two answer sheets, but you end up writing less than 140 characters!!!





If any of these applies to you, then you are an addict!

 Next post will be a list of Celebrity replies, retweets and favourites to my tweets. I'm sure that will be useful to at least some twitter freaks :)



No comments:

Post a Comment